Testosterone Replacement Therapy is the process of replacing the testosterone that is lost as a result of an injury, a condition that is present at birth, or a disease that causes low testosterone levels.
Schedule your free consultation today.
Q & A
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is one of a few different male hormones. It helps with muscle strength, sex drive, and bone strength.
What are the symptoms of low Testosterone?
The symptoms are different depending on how long a man has had low T.
At first, men with low T:
- Feel tired, especially at the end of the day
- Have little or no interest in sex (also called "low libido")
- Feel sad, down, or depressed
After a year or more of having low T, men develop other symptoms or medical problems, including:
- Loss of muscle
- Loss of bone strength
- Loss of facial or body hair
- Growing breasts (also called "gynecomastia")
What causes low Testosterone in men?
Many, many things can cause or contribute to decreasing testosterone levels. To name a few:
- Normal aging process
- Injury or infection affecting the testicles (which make most of the testosterone in men)
- Certain treatments for cancer, including radiation, chemotherapy, and hormone therapy for prostate cancer
- Disorders that affect the pituitary gland, a gland at the base of the brain that controls all hormone-producing organs
- Other medical problems, such as liver and kidney disease, obesity, diabetes, and AIDS
- Other rare genetic problems
How is low Testosterone in men treated?
Low testosterone can be treated with testosterone replacement. At Rejuvenate Wellness and MedSpa, we offer testosterone injections, which can be given weekly or biweekly. However, low T is not always treated, especially in men older than 60. That's because it's normal for testosterone to drop a bit in all men as they age. In fact, normal aging causes some of the same changes that happen in men with low T, such as less energy or interest in sex.
What are the benefits of testosterone replacement in men?
- Improved interest in sex
- Improved energy
- Being less depressed or irritable
What are possible side effects of testosterone replacement?
- High amounts of red blood cells, especially in men who take testosterone shots
- Blood clots (but this is rare)
- A possible increase in the risk of heart attack or stroke – Experts are worried that testosterone treatments might increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes in some men. This has not been proven, but doctors are careful about when to suggest testosterone, especially in older men.